|Chickpeas (Kabuli Chana)||250 gms |
|Dried Goose Bery Or Pomogranate Skin||Piece Of|
|Large Size Onion||2|
|Medium Size Tomatoes||2|
|Salt||As Per Taste|
Chana Masala Recipe:
- Soak 250 gms chickpeas (kabuli chana) for 6-8 hrs.
- Pressure cook chickpeas (kabuli chana) for 6-7 whistle along with 1 tea bag and piece of dried goose berry or piece of pomegranate skin, half cinamon stick, 2-3 cloves, 1 black cardamon tied in a small cloth. You can also add pinch of baking soda to it. Mostly in restaurant baking soda is used but here i m avoiding it.
- Chop 2 large onion and 1 1/2 inch ginger.
- Roughly chop 2 tomatoes.
For Chole Masala:
Take 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 1/2 teaspoon amchur powder, 1 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder, 1/2-1 teaspoon red chilly powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder, 1/2 teaspoon anardana (pomegranate) powder. You can also use chole masala easily available in market.
For Chana Masala Gravy:
- Remove the pressure cook chickpeas (kabula chana) and keep in a vessel and keep cooked chana water aside don’t throw it we can use the same water in chole.
- Now add prepared chole masala or chana masala bought from market on boiled chana. Heat 1 tablespoon ghee and pour hot ghee on the chana masala.
- Now in a pan or kadhai, heat 1 table spoon oil and 2 bay leaf, chopped onions, chopped ginger and stir. Let it cook till onions are slightly brown.
- Peel garlic skin, crush it and put in the kadhai.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and little salt it will help tomatoes cook faster.
- As soon as tomatoes become soft add chana masala, salt to taste and boiled chana water. Adjust the water as per the thickness you want for your chana masala gravy. You can add more fresh water if left over chana water is less.
- Let the chole cook for more 10 mins. Mash few chanas to adjust the consistency.
- Garnish wih coriander leaves. Chana masala is ready to be served. Chana masala goes well with puri, bhature. You can eat it with rice , chapati and paratha also.